Energy Company Saves on Backup and Recovery
Schneider Electric has led energy management and automation in homes, buildings, data centers, infrastructure, and across a wide variety of industries.
The mission of their IT team was to innovate its backup and recovery infrastructure. The company had virtualized 90% of its environment. However, they were using a solution for backups that was not made for virtualization, creating a complex challenge.
A full backup took more than 40 hours. Tape backup storage and maintenance costs were more than $20K per year. They had more than 300TB of data, and a growth rate of 12% per year. Schneider needed to rapidly deploy a solution to eliminate these pain points.
The company knew it needed the following requirements:
- Move away from complexity to a cloud-based solution with simple administration and management.
- Achieve quick backup and restore operations.
- Migrate off legacy backup file storage and outdated distributed file structures completely.
- Determine a solution for data protection at remote sites.
Schneider deployed Cohesity in North America first. They were up and running within 30 days. Now the company has expanded its implementation to Australia, Belgium, and Hungary to support its entire global backup and recovery operations. The power management leader has also streamlined and simplified operations, with faster recovery times and improved backup snapshot frequency. The 40 hours it took for a backup previously is now down to just one hour.With the Cohesity deployment, it was easy for Schneider to seamlessly integrate Azure and Cohesity. Not only did Schneider save costs, the company also increased the value of long-term data retention and recovery in the cloud. Microsoft Azure Blob storage uses encryption at rest and transfer and the company saw a reduction in backup footprint by 20 times.The IT team has freed up considerable resources to focus on strategic business operations instead of back office administration.Simplified and streamlined IT processes with built-in Pure and Microsoft integration, leaving legacy storage in the dust.
- Total environment is securely backed up at all six global data centers.
- Cost savings up to $60K per year.
- Significant reduction in data restores and recovery – from hours to minutes and days to hours.